Friday, January 20, 2006

The gansey is under way - sort of. The pattern will be “Steps and Cables,” similar to the Filey Pattern V in Gladys Thompson’s book. I wimped out somewhat on the gauge – only 7 stitches per inch – I can do that on circular needles if the long needles get to be too much of a bother. Still 300 stitches is a long round by modern standards, and with 12 cables and other stitch work in every round, it will take me a while. I am a slow knitter.

When I started knitting socks on DPN, I thought it was like fighting spiders with my bare hands. With experience and better tools, knitting socks became like playing with a very tame pet spider. It was easy. Eighteen inch long needles have leverage that make it more difficult. Knitting on 5 long steel needles was like fighting wicked spiders on steroids. It took a couple of tries to get to get the round joined without a twist. The first couple of rounds were very slow and awkward. If I got interrupted, and set my knitting down, when I came back, there would be a twist in it. I got mad, got out my well-worn Addi-Turbos and did a round on circulars. I looked at it – and frogged it.

However, knitting that yarn at 7 s/i on the circular needles did put noticeably more stress on my wrists. I am going to try getting the ribbing started on circulars and then switch to long DPN and a knitting stick to save my wrists.

No comments: