Thursday, May 14, 2009

How Old is knitting in Great Britian?

Recent scholarship on has shown very a very high level of knitting skill in Estonia in the 13th century ( a study of a 13th-century votic knit fragment by Anneke Lyffland) but what about Great Britain?

See The Origins of Knitted Fabrics by Braham Norwick for a cogent argument that the Irish knew about knitting in the 8th century. He goes on to layout similar evidence for the knowledge of knitting in Scotland in the 8th to 9th century.

Worth finding and reading.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Aaron, I have just started reading your blog...it could take me some time! Can I invite you to look at the new project I am working on as advisor www.ganseys-mfp.com....also writing a book at the moment (part of which as a historian and part as knitter) on stitches and knit techniques from the British Isles. I do so agree about history of knit being so much older than described in many accounts like Rutt. Would be great some time to have a conversation about this...dix

Anonymous said...

This is a good blog. Keep up all the work. I too love blogging and expressing my opinions

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful blog. I love it.

Anonymous said...

I am glad to be one of several visitants on this great site (:, thanks for posting .

Anonymous said...

All stylishly written

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for the post.Really looking forward to read more. Want more.

Anonymous said...

Some regarding renown, on waste of understanding dote, And consider they expand immortal when they quote. by Ed Young.

Anonymous said...

Definitely agree with simply what you whispered. Your clarification was surely the simplest to comprehend.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. I wish I had your blogging style.