Sunday, January 01, 2012

Favorite tools of 2011

We went to Yellowstone last summer and saw everything.  There was a lot of walking to the geyser basins and waiting, waiting, and waiting for the geysers to erupt. I was knitting boot socks from hand spun Romney.  I had the whole knitting bag with me but one knitting sheath became the choice :


As I look at pictures of sailing this fall, there it is, always with 9" long, 2.38 mm steel DPN.  I will say that on some of those sailing trips, the needles got doused with sea water, and rusted. Everything was wet for a couple of days.  Still a bit of crocus cloth brought the needles back to perfect conditions in minutes.

There was a lot of sampling of series of yarns.  Many of these were done on a very light weight knitting sheaths tucked into an elastic pant waist band:


This one was made from redwood.  The redwood is much too soft to support the small steel needles, and hence needs a hardwood adapter, maple in this case.  Moreover, the redwood is too weak to hold interchangeable adapters tightly, and thus the adapter must be glued, and it is not interchangeable.  Just the tool to knit yarn hot off the plying bobbin.

And the winner:
My Ashford flier with standard high speed whorl (22:1) and a bobbin with a 5/8" core and DRS of 1.017  for spinning singles in the range of  10,000 ypp.  This has been a good setup for spinning singles in the 9,000 to 15,000 ypp range.  It is simple, inexpensive, and it works!  This rig will spin 11,200 ypp singles, faster, easier, and more consistently than any of the mass produced spinning assemblies.  Only Alden Amos' flier assemblies are faster.

2 comments:

frogger said...

Just found your blog this week and have read all you entries. Awesome! I look forward to reading more. I took one year of "Master Spinners" (long ago) and was very disappointed with my local guild.
You have already shared more useful information then a room full of "experts" and a few years worth of attending a guild.( My reason for starting in the first place was for a specific quality of wool to knit with and couldn't find)
Thank you
You make me want to spin again!
P.S..just a thought about the mom knitting 9 sweaters..lol. When my grandmother lived in Scotland (and knit for companies) she had 4 boys. Everyother year 2 got "new" sweaters and 2 had the bottom ribbing taken off, and a stripe added and the old ribbing reknit on. Also her idea of "new" was any yarn that kid had not worn already, but that did not mean an older brother/father didnt have something made of it before, unravelled and reknit for younger child. To this day my father hates green because of a knitted outfit. (being the youngest there was alot of green around once and it seemed to last...lol)

Aaron said...

I think Alden Amos Big Book of Hand Spinning, Chapter 9; and,
the How Much Yarn Page at http://www.fiber2yarn.com/info/how_much_yarn.htm

have info on how much yarn.

My approach is to find a yarn that I really like and buy buy a lot of it so that I can really get to know it.

In spinning that means buying a lot of one kind of fiber, and working with it until I understand it.